An Online, Ongoing Discussion of Virgil and His Influence
Mantovano, the Virgil mailing list, exists to discuss:
- The works attributed to Publius Vergilius Maro.
Commentary on Virgil and his works,
from late antiquity (e.g., Servius, Macrobius)
from the middle ages (e.g., "Anselm of Laon")
from the renaissance (e.g., Landino)
from the enlightenment to the present
Virgil's influence on subsequent literature
(e.g., Lucan, Statius, Dante, Ariosto, Petrarch,
Tasso, Spenser, Milton)
Be courteous. The listowner, David Wilson-Okamura, reserves the right to revoke
the subscription privileges of any contributor who (in the
judgement of the listowner) makes himself a nuisance.
Students are welcome to participate in the discussion, but this list
is not a substitute for the library. Please do not post messages like "I have a paper due tomorrow and need a thesis. Tell me everything
you know about the Aeneid" or "I am writing a paper for school on _____________________. Any and all thoughts are appreciated." We are not going to write your paper for you. We can, though, help your sharpen your own ideas if you tell us first (a) what you think about the question, and (b) what books you've already looked at. Hint: if you're looking for a place to start, try Shirley Warner's Bibliographic Guide to Vergil's Aeneid.
- If else someone asks a question that you think trivial and annoying,
please just ignore it. If no one answers it, the thread will die on its own.
- Change the subject header to reflect a change in subject. This lets
people who don't have time to read all their mail delete the threads
they're not interested in.
- Do not post advertisements to this list. The listowner does not look kindly
on commercials, and will immediately post a direct complaint to the
offending party's Internet Service Provider (ISP).
- Do not send attachments.
On 1 March 2007, Mantovano switched to Google Groups. For discussions prior to 1 March 2007, see http://www.mail-archive.com/mantovano%40virgil.org. This service is a courtesy of Jeff Breidenbach.
How to Subscribe, Participate, or Unsubscribe
Once you have subscribed, there are two ways to send messages.
- Go to https://groups.google.com/forum/#!forum/mantovano
- Follow the instructions on the website. If you don't have already have a Google account, you'll need to create one. This is easy: you need to provide your current email address, and you need to create a password.
- There are several different options for receiving mail from Mantovano. Choose the one that suits you best; you can always change your mind later.
Whichever option you choose, please remember that all messages are archived permanently and publicly.
- The easiest is to send an email to email@example.com.
- The other way is to enter your message on the web, using the group webpage: https://groups.google.com/forum/#!forum/mantovano.
- Go to https://groups.google.com/forum/#!forum/mantovano.
- Follow the instructions on the website.